Vegan Apple Bavarian Torte
Apple Bavarian Torte
This torte is almost too beautiful to eat! Impress your holiday guests with this delicious vegan dessert that is excellent when served alone or á la mode.
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. margarine, chilled
3 apples, peeled, cored, cut in half, and thinly sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup white sugar, chilled
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup flour, chilled
1 8-oz. package nondairy cream cheese (try Tofutti brand at Tofutti.com)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup sliced almonds
• Preheat the oven to 400°F.
• Oil a 9-inch springform pan.
• In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon margarine. Toss the apples with the brown sugar and cinnamon and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off and reserve the liquid.
• Cream together 1/2 cup margarine, 1/3 cup white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and the flour. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the springform pan. Set aside.
• In a food processor, blend together the nondairy cream cheese, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Pour this mixture over the crust and spread the apples on top.
• Bake for 10 minutes. Drizzle with a couple spoonfuls of the reserved apple liquid, avoiding the edges of the pan, and continue baking for 25 minutes.
• Sprinkle almonds over the top of the torte. Continue baking until lightly browned. Cool before removing from the pan.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
This yummy recipe from VegCooking